Ph.D. Fellowship on Deep Learning in Remote Sensing
The Intelligent Geocomputing Lab at State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY ESF) is looking for a Ph.D. student to advance remote sensing analysis through the use of deep learning methods. The position will offer a stipend with health benefits along with a tuition waiver. Experience in machine learning methods and strong programming skills are expected. While familiarity with remote sensing analysis is preferable, candidates with technical backgrounds from other fields and interest in geospatial applications are encouraged to apply.
– a master’s degree in engineering, computer science, physics, geography or related disciplines
– strong statistical and programming background
– experience with machine learning methods
– excellent English verbal and writing communication skills
– ability to collaborate and lead in a group environment
Experience with image analysis, deep learning methods and a relevant journal publication
The position includes an annual stipend of $21,000-$24,000 (depending on qualifications), health insurance and a tuition waiver. This is a four-year position, renewed annually based on satisfactory performance. Expected start date is August or December 2023. The position is based at SUNY ESF’s campus in Syracuse, NY, and the selected candidate is expected to be physically present. The position is open to domestic and international students.
Interested candidates should consider one of the two programs below requesting Dr. Giorgos Mountrakis as their advisor:
Environmental Resource Engineering – Option Area: Geospatial Information Science and Engineering
Graduate Program in Environmental Science – Study Area: Ecosystems: Land, Water and Air
To apply for the position please submit via email (email@example.com) as a single pdf attachment the following:
- A one page statement that describes your experience in programming, machine learning and manipulation of remotely sensed data. Also include a paragraph on the topic you would like to pursue in your PhD studies.
- A copy of your CV, including your GRE and TOEFL scores if you have them.
- No other material should be included.
The position is currently open, this page will be taken down when the position is filled. So as long as you can read this, feel free to apply!